Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Discussion Forums

This forum allows people interested in disaster preparedness to discuss relevant topics.

How has CERT training changed your behaviors?

Cabrillo-1
    Battalion Coordinator
    Battalion Coordinator

Neighborhood : Monterey Hills

How has CERT training changed your behaviors?

Post by Cabrillo-1 on Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:53 am

What has your CERT training taught you to do differently in your life?
    Was it the initial training or supplemental training that triggered these changes?

Cabrillo-1
    Battalion Coordinator
    Battalion Coordinator

Neighborhood : Monterey Hills

Re: How has CERT training changed your behaviors?

Post by Cabrillo-1 on Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:09 am

During my basic training class, some of the instructors gave us tips such as never letting your car get below half a tank.  The reasoning behind this is that gas pumps require power and if the power is out, they cannot pump gas.  Furthermore, if there's a disaster, there will be long lines at the gas station and once they are out of fuel, they are out of fuel and you are out of luck if you're riding on fumes.  With at least half a tank of gas, you can probably get out of the city.
    I try to do this and refill at half but I don't keep to this habit as well as I should.

The second tip was to, when traveling, never get a hotel room above the 5th floor because the fire truck might not be able to reach above there if there's a fire and you're trapped. 
    I haven't had a chance to put this into practice yet and hopefully I'll never have to find out how long the ladder on the fire truck is.

They also talked about parking facing outward as often as possible.  You'll notice police doing this.  The reason is that it is easier and faster to pull out in a hurry if you're driving straight out instead of backing out.  I now almost always back into a parking space unless there's a line of cars behind me or it's much easier to pull in straight.  I do still note if there's signs saying no backing into spaces and follow those signs if present.  Some industrial plants also have signs saying to back into spaces for exactly this reason.

Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:18 am