Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Discussion Forums

This forum allows people interested in disaster preparedness to discuss relevant topics.

Assisting People with Disabilities or Access And Functional Needs

CBCERT
    Bureau Coordinator
    Bureau Coordinator

Neighborhood : RAMPART VILLAGE

Assisting People with Disabilities or Access And Functional Needs

Post by CBCERT on Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:22 pm

I think it would be a useful discussion to consider how best to assist individuals who have specific needs.
    Since I am a senior citizen with a few issues, I'd like to start with one in particular.  
    My advice as a person who is hearing impaired:
    1- Many hearing impaired people do not know sign language. So you need to communicate in another way.
    2- Hearing aids only amplify sound. They don't make speech more distinct. It's therefore important to enunciate clearly.
    3- If you are sitting beside me in a meeting and you want to say something to me, it's best to write a note as I cannot hear whispers at all.
    4- Yelling (or any loud noise for that matter) is extremely disturbing to the nervous system.
    5- Vowels are easier to distinguish than consonants. Therefore it is easy for a hearing impaired person to misunderstand what someone is saying when it sounds like something else. Example: While at a fire station, a call was being announced over the PA. The voice was calling FS-13, but to me it sounded like "CERT Team."
    If you are conveying important information, please verify.

Here are a few more Tips on Talking with the Hearing Impaired  that may prove useful to you in your efforts as a CERT volunteer.

Last edited by CBCERT on Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:15 pm; edited 3 times in total

Cabrillo-1
    Battalion Coordinator
    Battalion Coordinator

Neighborhood : Monterey Hills

Re: Assisting People with Disabilities or Access And Functional Needs

Post by Cabrillo-1 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:45 pm

What tips do you have for identifying someone who is hearing impaired?  For example, until you made this post, I didn't realize you were hearing impared.

CBCERT
    Bureau Coordinator
    Bureau Coordinator

Neighborhood : RAMPART VILLAGE

Post by CBCERT on Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:17 pm

I thought sure I had responded to this. I guess I got distracted and forgot to click send.
    Anyway, here are a few clues - Besides what is mentioned above. the person may
    1- often ask you to repeat yourself.
    2- play the TV or radio extra loud
    3- misunderstand what you said
    4- startle easily because they don't hear something coming
    5- get irritated by loud noises
    6- just smile at you if they don't hear clearly what you said and are embarrassed to ask you to repeat again

Many functional needs are not always apparent, and it may just depend upon the person identifying the need to you.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:09 pm