Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Discussion Forums

This forum allows people interested in disaster preparedness to discuss relevant topics.

CERT Refresher

Cabrillo-1
    Battalion Coordinator
    Battalion Coordinator

Neighborhood : Monterey Hills

CERT Refresher

Post by Cabrillo-1 on Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:29 pm

In a large-scale disaster, government resources may be overwhelmed and unable to immediately assist citizens in their community.  Emergency response personnel may be delayed for hours, even days. Preparing the community is vital in preparedness and resiliency.  
    The purpose of this refresher drill is to review and provide hands-on training that will include the incident command system, medical operations (triage, treatment, transport), search and rescue, fire suppression, and disaster alley. 

OPEN TO ALL CERT GRADUATES!
    PERSONAL SAFETY EQUIPMENT (helmet, goggles, dust mask, gloves, appropriate clothing (long pants, and closed-toe shoes) is MANDATORY!  Bring your lunch and drinks. Please be prompt!

WHEN: Saturday, March 5, 2016 from 7:30 AM to 4:00 PM (PST)

WHERE: Frank Hotchkin Memorial Training Center - 1700 Stadium Way (Gym Floor) Los Angeles, CA 90012

certbatt4
    Battalion Coordinator
    Battalion Coordinator

Neighborhood : Playa Vista

Re: CERT Refresher

Post by certbatt4 on Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:46 am

I found some things very interesting at yesterday's refresher... not that the actual event wasn't absolutely GREAT... 

1. Members wore whatever they liked instead of CERT uniforms. CERT shirt or green shirt t-shirt and CERT vest; BLACK cargo pants, BLACK closed toed shoes. This is our uniform to be proud to wear and none of it should be a financial hardship.

2. Besides the required PPEs, did anyone really need to lug around their CERT packs? Or maybe, I am missing the point that we need to get use to carrying it during a disaster?

Cabrillo-1
    Battalion Coordinator
    Battalion Coordinator

Neighborhood : Monterey Hills

Post by Cabrillo-1 on Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:44 pm

The advantage of a CERT pack is you have your gear with you.  The disadvantage of a CERT pack is that you might have too much gear.  It's a chance to let people see if they made a mistake.  We don't want responders realize they packed too heavy a pack half way to the CP and now need to consider dumping gear or turning back.

I think each neighborhood team should decide their uniforms.  I disagree with forcing a uniform on a group of volunteers from the top down.  If a team decides they want to wear CERT t-shirts and black cargo pants, great.  If a team decides they are going to have monogrammed polo-shirts, great. 
    But I do think that there should be some sort of uniform but unless it's going to be provided by the very top, the very top shouldn't demand one.  At the local team level, on the other hand, they can make that decision as a team. Certainly telling people they can't participate in CERT because they aren't wearing a particilar uniform is a bad idea.

I do think the CERT t-shirt, vest, black cargo pants, and black boots look good and I'll recommend that my local team uses this uniform. I'm also going to see if we can raise money and provide the shirts.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:49 pm